From:
[log in to unmask] (Daniele Besomi)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ====================

[NOTE: Daniele has asked for private responses, but in the interest of
extending the items listed in the HES Internet Guide to Archival Resources
in the History of Economics, I would ask those who have information for
him to also reply to the list or to carbon copy the info to me
([log in to unmask]).--RBE]

Dear HES-ers,
        I am editing Roy Harrod's inter-war papers and correspondence.
Harrod was an appassionate hoarder, and kept thousands of letters which are
now preserved in a number of archives in England, Japan and the US. So far,
for the inter-war years I have found about 3,000 letters to and from him,
half of which purely personal.
        I will only publish a selection of Harrod's writings: those on
economics, politics, philosophy, and other professional activities, leaving
out the personal stuff. However, I am listing all the letters I have so far
found and giving details regarding their location, so that researchers
interested in other topics will be able to consult them.
        I would greatly appreciate if subscribers to this list could let me
know where collections of Harrodiana could be located. I am principally
interested in the inter-war years, but I am also storing information
relating to the subsequent years, which I will make available to
researchers who would like to edit the remainder of Harrod's papers and
correspondence. I would also be grateful for addresses of other mailing
lists whose subscribers could be of help in this search.

        I have of course examined the most obvious souces -e.g. the Keynes,
Robertson, Robinson, Meade, Hawtrey, Kahn, Kaldor, Henderson etc. papers. I
have not, however, been able to find out where the papers of the following
people are held (whom I know have corresponded with Harrod):
ECONOMISTS: Melchior Palyi; D. H. MacGregor; A. W. Stonier;  Maurice Allen;
F. W. Taussig; L. Fraser; James Bonar; O. Morgenstern; Humphrey Mynors; J.
Shepherd (economic adviser of the Federation of Master Cotton Spinners); W.
Wiggins (Chairman of the Monetary Policy Commission of ther Federation of
the Master Cotton Spinners); H. Withers; E. Dick.
PHILOSOPHERS: H. H. Price.
POLITICIANS: E. Jack C. Neep; George Granville Leveson-Gower; Lord Camrose;
Stafford Cripps; G. D. H. Cole; Basil Sheridan Hamilton-Temple; Leslie
Hore-Belisha; Godfrey Nicholson; Frank Packenham; Lord Melchet; J. Stamp;
Dingle-Foot, M.P. 1938; Francis Freemantle, M.P. 1938; Richard Temple;
Craven-Ellis; C. Morgan-Webb; Sir Henry Strakosch; Robert Boothby; Lord
Strabolgi; Lord Birkenhead.
OTHER ACADEMICS: ; R. H. Dundas (Christ Church, Oxford); Keith Feiling
(Christ Church, Oxford); A. D. Lindsay (Balliol, Oxford); J. C. Masterman
(Christ Church, Oxford); A. H. Smith (New College, Oxford);  A. Salter;
Carr-Saunders; Leo Liepmann; John and Penelope Betjeman;
OTHERS: H. F. Scott-Stokes; Woodward; Fredric John Warburg; Jack Haldane;
Harold Acton; Paul Bloomfield; George Catlin; Basil Herbert; Eric Siepman;
Christopher Hollis; Maurice Hastings; T. Balogh; John Sparrow; Jack
Sheppard; Mary Stopes; Diane Abdy; H. C. A. O'Rorke.

        Thank you very much in advance for any help.
        Please reply privately.
        Daniele Besomi

e-mail: [log in to unmask]