From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ===================

[The organizer of this conference, Scott Lee, is particulary interested
in having historians of economics attend this conference and would be
*very* receptive to paper proposals from HES subscribers. -- RBE]

THE ASSOCIATION FOR CORE TEXTS AND COURSES (ACTC)
Fourth Annual Conference
CORE TEXT EDUCATION: KNOWLEDGE, ACTION, CREATION?
17 - 20 April 1998

Sponsored by the University of North Carolina, Asheville

Radisson Hotel
Asheville, North Carolina

We invite you to attend the fourth annual ACTC conference: Core Text
Education: Knowledge, Action, Creation. ACTC is dedicated to the use of
core texts in required undergraduate core curricula. Since 1995, our
institutional membership has grown from 24 original colleges and
universities to 80, while our conferees have grown from 33 to 120.

Plenary Speakers:

David Bevington, University of Chicago
Timothy Lenoir, Stanford University

Proposals for short papers to be presented in panel sessions are welcome.
The conference goals are furthered through conversation and discussion, so
the conference organizers ask for short papers of five pages
(double-spaced) with 3/4 of a page devoted to one specific text.

Proposals (one paragraph) may be for papers or for a full panel. Panel
proposals should include people from different institutions.

Paper proposals should address the conference theme are be directed at the
aims of core text education:
Are we transmitting and developing knowledge, or are we seeking
understanding instead? Are we engaged in interdisciplinary work or does
one discipline model all our work?

Are we inculcating habits or values? Or, are we making better persons,
institutions, or societies? Is inclusiveness or diversity our goal?

Are we teaching arts, or rather, skills to students? Does our teaching
depend on the appreciation of beauty? Does form matter?

We welcome papers dealing with such questions at the curricular, course,
or textual level and we also welcome papers on strategies of support for
core texts or the technology of core texts.

ACTC serves three basic purposes:

1) to advance the use of world classics and/or culturally significant
texts in integrated undergraduate core curricula;

2) to promote discussion about these texts and curricula as well as their
appropriate pedagogies;

3) to raise the status of professional core text faculty.

If you have further questions, please contact
J. Scott Lee
Associate Director, ACTC
1114 Berks
214 Anderson Hall
Temple University
Philadelphia, PA 19122
Email: [log in to unmask]
Ross B. Emmett                       Manager, Electronic Information
Augustana University College          History of Economics Society
Camrose, Alberta CANADA   T4V 2R3
voice: (403) 679-1517   fax: (403) 679-1590
e-mail: [log in to unmask]