From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt (NC))
Date:
==================== HES POSTING =======================

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Ross B. Emmett wrote:
> Are there any episodes during which writers on economic issues have been
> repressed by governments or patrons?

Yes.  The most famous case may be Edwin Ross (see his entry in __Internatl
Encyc Soc Sci__; then see Mary Furner, __Advocacy and Objectivity__).
Ross wrote on some very "live issues" in late 19c California --economics
and sociology of Race, Immigration, Labor, Income, Growth, Race.  The
economics and sociology of Chinese labor in California (immigration,
railroad construction, and aftermath) was quite interesting to the patron,
for Ross was a professor at Stanford University.

----
Re: PATRONS
Patronage is a moderately hot topic in the history of science, esp'y for
Early Modern Europe, where the relationship was often explicit and
personal.  (See recent works by Dorinda Outram.)

For University work at Stanford and Chicago in the 1890s, which must be
nearly the best USAmerican examples, how well does "patronage" fit?  That
is, to set an overreaching essay (teach you to "Ask the Professor"!):
Explain the relationship between the candidate-"patron" individuals,
families, or corporations --Leland Stanford and John Rockefeller,
Stanfords and Rockefellers, Central Pacific[?] and Standard Oil-- and
"their" university teachers, researchers, writers.

----
For University work thruout 1890s USAmerica, I expect that a bimetallist
could not teach Money (Banking, Finance?) in the East nor a gold bug in
the West, but the opposite was generally possible and was occasionally a
strong "selling point" for a job candidate.  Further, I expect that merely
seeing some good points on both sides of the issue was too close to heresy
at some universities.
(That is what I expect.  Has anyone studied this?)

----
When I interviewed for an economics job at U. Utah in the 1980s, I was
told, more or less by a committee of the faculty, that the modern
department was founded by Leo Rogin as a refugee from UC Berkeley.  As I
recall hearing, McCarthyism at Berkeley was intolerable for Rogin.  (Was
he fired?  Or did he see his students and friends driven away?)  He moved
to Utah, where the non-Mormon UU enjoyed academic freedom.

Paul Wendt, Watertown MA
asst.editor, HES e-information services (history of economics)
e-contact, 19th century committee, SABR (baseball research)