From:
[log in to unmask] (Daniele Besomi)
Date:
==================== HES POSTING ====================

Dear HESers,

In correspondence with Keynes (in Keynes's Collected Writings vol.
XIV, Macmillan 1973, p. 98n) and with Harrod (unpublished), and later
in his Essays in Monetary Theory (New York and Toronto: Staples Press,
1940), p. 25, Robertson cited Plumptre's criticism to Keynes's theory
of liquidity preference. The passage in DHR's letter to Harrod (9 Nov.
1936) runs as follows:

"The Neo-Keynesian formulation seems to me definitely retrograde in
various respects. In particular, it divorces money held for 'precautionary
motives' from direct connection with the rate of interest, which is
supposed to be relevant only to money held for 'speculative motives', i.e.
because it is thought that the rate of interest may change. Thus interest
is paid because interest is expected to change! (I have seen an effective
criticism by Plumptre along these lines)"

In 1940, Robertson indicated that Plumptre's paper was unpublished; this
is confirmed in the 1946 reprint of the book (which, however, is not
indicated as having been revised).

Does anyone know whether this was eventually published, and where?

Thank you.

Daniele Besomi