From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Quinn)
Date:
One more reference you might find useful, Humberto, is Ronald Coase's essay, "Adam Smith's
View of Man" in his Essays On Economics and Economists (U. of Chicago, 1994). Among other
things, he says," ...Adam Smith's account of the development of our moral sentiments is
essentially self-centered. We care for others because, by a sympathetic response, we feel
as they feel, because we enjoy the sharing of sympathy, and because we wish to appear
admirable in our own eyes. " But this broadly self-centered motivation encompasses as a
part only "self-interest, more narrowly conceived."

Kevin Quinn