From:
[log in to unmask] (James Henderson)
Date:
I've run across a reference that I can't track down. Thought the Adam Smith experts might
help. This regards a piece by [or about?] Adam Smith that appears
in

xx, European Magazine, August, 1791 (there is a page reference to p. 135).

The citation comes from a footnote to a letter from William Wordsworth to John Wilson (2
June, 1802) in which Wordsworth says:

". . . Adam Smith, who, we (are) told, could not endure the Ballad of Clym of the Clough,
because the author had not written like a gentleman"

Bonus question! --  Who wrote the "Ballad of Clym of the Clough?"   or did one Clym of the
Clough write a ballad?

James Henderson
Valparaiso University