From:
[log in to unmask] (Alan G Isaac)
Date:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Spencer J. Pack apparently wrote:
> If economics is a theory of choice, then how is it
> different from psychology?

I do not know what 'theory' means here. Leaving that
aside...

If you define choice to mean rational choice (and not just
an action interpreted as choosing), then some might say that
microeconomists study choice and behavioral psychologists
study behavior.  (Let us not worry too much about the nature
of 'rationality' or the meaning of 'behavior' right now.)

Some might perhaps find it more natural to propose that
microeconomists study rational action while behavioral
psychologists study action.

Either way, the puzzle remains why economists would restrict
their permissible explanations relative to the field of
behavioral psychology.  It seems to me that efforts by
economists to explore this puzzle have recently been bearing
some nutritious fruit, as with the rise of behavioral
economics.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac