From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
For Alan

No predictions "emerge" from a theory, or logic. A theory, or logic, as
I am using the term, refers to a means of organizing one's thoughts
about the observations one makes or can imagine. For a given set of
observations or imaginations, the organization differs and, accordingly,
the predictions one would make about future actions would probably
differ from that which would result from a different means of
organizing. But I am writing about theory in the abstract.

To the vast majority of the users of the logic of choice, economics is
not more than a combination of folk understanding and human psychology.
I agree.Such economists define the term "choice" precisely as you say,
in terms of a folk understanding and metaphysical beliefs. This is not
meant to disparage economics. After all, we are all folks and we all
rely on metaphysical beliefs. So we adopt a means of interpreting
behavior that relies on some conception of a "common understanding,"
with variations that we introduce as we believe the situation dictates.
Economists are no different from the woman walking down the street in
this essential respect, although they certainly know a great deal more
about how to organize their observations.

Yes, people do make predictions all the time. But the issue here is
about the nature of economics, not about the nature of sociology or of
everyday life. It seems to me that you are writing about complexity. The
kinds of predictions you are attributing to economics involve many
choosers and, therefore, many complex minds that interact in complex
ways before and during their choosing processes. Complexity (an overused
term, I admit) certainly limits what economists can predict and
understand. But it is unclear to me how your remarks are relevant beyond
this.

The law of demand is indeed implied by the logic of choice. However, one
must specify the constraints on choice.  Under specified conditions or
assumptions, we deduce that individuals MUST choose to buy a larger
quantity at a lower price. This logic is what I mean by the revolution
with which we associate Gossen's name.

P. S. I will be on the road for over a week and will probably be unable
to continue this discussion until I reach my new destination.

Pat Gunning