From:
[log in to unmask] (Andrews, David R)
Date:
======================= HES POSTING ====================

On p. 40 of the General Theory Keynes wrote:

"To say that net output to-day is greater, but the price-level lower,
than ten years ago or one year ago, is a proposition of a similar
character to the statement that Queen Victoria was a better queen but not
a happier woman than Queen Elizabeth -- a proposition not without meaning
and not without interest, but unsuitable as material for the differential
calculus.  Our precision will be a mock precision if we try to use such
partly vague and non-quantitative concepts as the basis of a quantitative
analysis."

Am I missing something, or is this a rejection of the concept of the price
level as a theoretically useful tool?  Isn't the price level still an
important concept in macrotheory?  Has Keynes been refuted or has this
view been seriously discussed in the Keynes literature?

David Andrews