From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Ann Mayhew:

>The limits of methodological individualism upon which the broad
neoclassical synthesis rested, became apparent even as neoclassicism became
dominant. Advertisers and business executives never fell for the notion
that tastes were somehow individually inherent, and beyond examination and
manipulation, and even in the more rarified reaches of Economics there were
intrusions of the concept of historically-determined institutional patterns
such as property rights and expectations.  (This is where Coase came in.)>

Ann, I picked out this statement from your post because I think it raises
two crucial issues. Let me begin by recalling that Coase's theory of the
firm (1937) was based on the idea that in order to reduce certain "costs"
of making market exchanges involving work, individuals might agree to enter
into what they expected to be long term employment compacts. In the
simplest case, one person would become an employer and the other an
employee. One of the "costs" that Coase mentioned was the costs of finding
the relevant prices, which in layman's terms means finding out a
prospective worker's willingness to do a particular type of work and a
prospective employer's willingness to pay for the work.

Correctly understood, Coase's approach to this simple exchange problem was
methodologically individualistic. However, it did not take tastes as given.
It assumed that traders had to discover the tastes. In other words, it
assumed the people have tastes but not that these tastes are given or
widely known. This, in my view, is also true of good neoclassical
economists generally. They do not take given tastes as axiomatic either.
Given tastes are often assumed in order to facilitate model-building. But
only a poorly-trained neoclassical economist would neglect the problem of
defining them in the first place and the fact of their changeability. This
is the first issue. ( Incidentally, the assumption of given tastes was the
subject of a Stigler-Becker article in the AER. -- Stigler, George J. and
Gary S. Becker (1977) "De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum." American Economic
Review 67(2): 76-90. I also recall that it stirred some debate. Perhaps
someone on the list knows this debate.)

The second issue is the relationship between an individual and an
institution. I think that you treat this too lightly. An individual is a
thinking human being who possesses the characteristics of inventiveness and
creativity, among other things. An institution is either or both a creation
of individuals or a legacy of pre-human existence. When you use the phrase
"historically-determined institutional patterns," it confuses me. History
cannot create or determine things. History refers to the past behavior of
individuals. What you apparently mean is that the individuals for whom the
patterns are significant did not themselves produce them. You do not mean
that the patterns were not produced by individuals. (We should also
recognize in this context that some institutions are deliberately produced
while others appear to be "unintended" consequences of actions.)

However, if this is all that you mean, your criticism of methodological
individualism is not so convincing. Return to Coase. While he provided a
model of the individualistic creation of the long term employment compact,
he did not assert that all such compacts are formed according to this
model. Once a precedent is set and a number of prospective employers
recognize the "cost" savings of the employment compact, they will offer pay
for long-term work. In this case, the prospective employee faces a pattern
of price offers from "institutions" that already exist. Even a new employer
may not think about transaction costs. She may merely identify the
prospective profits of doing what others have done. But the fact that a
person copies another does not make his behavior less individualistic. It
does, however, imply that in interpreting historical events, one should
account not only for today's individual behavior but also for the
individual behavior of the past.

Now one might argue that the tastes of individuals and even their abilities
are mostly determined by the institutional patterns produced in the past.
Fair enough. But why is this important? The fact that human beings have the
capacity to look back and understand this very fact is evidence of their
power to imagine institutional patterns that are not "historically
determined." And under the right circumstances, they can produce such
patterns themselves.

The same type of argument applies to private property rights. In his 1960s
paper on Social Cost. As one might recall, Coase described several ways in
which individuals dealt with externalities, including the creation of
private property rights. The private property rights thus created could
become part of the institutional structure faced by actors later in
history.

I think that a great deal of the complaints that evolutionary economists
and institutional economists express about methodological individualism are
either (1) correct only for those methodological individualists who do not
know how to properly use this approach to interpreting historical facts or
(2) misconceived because they do not appreciate that history itself is
about beings that we ordinarily attribute with having the capacity to
choose individually and to be creative and inventive in doing so.

I am referring here to a problem faced by all historians of economics. How
do we select the best representative of this subject?

Pat Gunning