From:
[log in to unmask] (Anil Nauriya)
Date:

Actually, I'm not sure how far that distinction (university/college/school)
works to shed light on the incumbency factor or on the level, quality and
content of "skill". On skill it is useful to remember this comment by
Wassily Leontief
:
"Unfortunately, any one capable of learning elementary, or preferably
advanced calculus and algebra, and acquiring acqaintance with the
specialized terminology of  economics can set himself up as a theorist.
Uncritical enthusiasm for mathematical formulation tends often to conceal
the ephemeral substantive content of the argument behind the formidable
front of algebraic
signs."

And this is what  he had to say  about the incumbency factor: "A natural
Darwinian feedback operating through selection of academic personnel
contributes greatly to the perpetuation of this state of affairs."

This was I think his presidential address at a meeting of the American
Economic Association in 1970.

Anil Nauriya