From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross Emmett)
Date:

A professor from another discipline has the following questions. I will
point the inquirer to the list discussion for answers to the questions.

1. When did economists start talking about "industries" in the modern
idiom? My read on US history at least is that even through turn of the
early 20th century, industries were still "personified" in people like
Carnegie, etc.   When do standard econ views emerge (e.g.,
cross-elasticities and other abstract formulations). Is this Marshall or as
late as Stigler/Hicks?

2.  Do you know a source that tracks the history of economics with specific
focus on the rise of industrial org economics and the templates of how
economists think about an industry and how this idea spread?

3.  I have looked at Blaug, etc. and standard histories of economic ideas.
I am really looking for someone who has done historical sociology of
economics in nitty-gritty -- when and why do we start to worry about
industry "boundaries" or actually markets and to come up with conceptual
strategies to delineate
these?

The context for this: To present a fully sociological/institutional account
of industry, it seems that "industries" are usefully treated as
historically-specific assemblies, provided boundaries largely by the
actions of modern states
and economists via issues like anti-trust and market definition in the U.S.
I know less about competition policy and how lawyers or economists are
involved in this in European context. But this is a pretty modern activity,
I am
seeking economist thinking that treated "industry" as alternative to
current wisdom.