Date:
Mohammed Gani writes:

> If Anderson did show disrespect, it is for him to mend his ways and mind
his
> words.  I will just look at a deeper issue. It has central pertinence to
> the issue of institutions. I am not defending Anderson, but I must defend
> economics from the agression natural science.

My point was quite simple: People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw
stones. This would apply to individuals coming from the "hard" sciences who
are always quick to point out that economics is not a science. I then gave
some examples of where economics has, in my opinion, a scientific base and
where the "hard" sciences put up short in this respect. Why this is
controversial on a site dedicated to the history of economic thought is
beyond me.

> The classical paradigm in economics arose in a climate of opinion where
> people had unquestioned faith in the notion of natural law. The terms
> mechanism and equilibrium, for example, are borrowed from 'natural
> science'.  The trouble is that economics studies something that has no
> nature, but has a character. It deals with events that have no cause, but
> have reason. The market is not a mechanism, but an institution. There is
no
> equilibrium, but there is agreement. Put with the most shocking clarity I
> can think of: natural science studies inanimate objects devoid of life,
> volition, creativity or freedom.

The market is both a mechanism and an institution. There is friction in the
mechanism, but, in the most competitive situation, it is the best mechanism
for allocating scarce resources efficiently.

Chas Anderson