From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Quinn)
Date:

The handicap principle is associated with the biologist Amotz Zahavi ( *The
Handicap Principle: A Missing piece of Darwin's Puzzle*, Oxford University
Press, 1997.) Geoffrey Miller's *The Mating Mind* (Doubleday, 2000) is a
wonderful account of sexual selection in general, including Zahavi's work.
He specifically cites Veblen  as an important influence for the obvious
outlines of a theory of wasteful costly signalling in The Theory of The
Leisure Class.  The ability to waste resources, in TLC, is a costly,
difficult to fake, signal of status or prowess. Of course Veblen wasn't
doing biology, but Miller thought Veblen was also important in
understanding -- long before modern developments in the theory of sexual
selection (Darwin's long-ignored theory) made it obvious-- that
evolutionary fitness was quite compatible with huge amounts of waste, that
fitness-promoting adaptations often reduce survival value, that
non-instrumental (for survival purposes) adaptations (such as, for Miller,
Art, Science,  Ethics and a Big Brain!) were not at all incompatible with
the evolutionary process. I don't have the quote at my fingertips, but
Veblen once said that the lesson of evolution is  that "everything that
exists, is wrong." I wish  some of our sillier pop-evolutionists, such as
Wilson and Pinker, would go read him! It wouldn't be the first time (see
Malthus to Darwin) that economic thinking influenced biology.

Kevin Quinn