From:
[log in to unmask] (Sumitra Shah)
Date:
I called upon a friend,  [a liberation theologian and colleague] for his suggestions.
Following is his message. I do not know who Sirico is, but my friend had unflattering
things to say about his political economy.

Sumitra Shah

I suggest the questioner should begin with Quadragesimo Anno a social letter(encyclical)
published by Pius X1 in 1931. The principal drafter of the letter (the only one?) was
Oswald von Nell-Breuning, S.J who has written that sections 91-96 were written by Pius X1
himself, here there is reference to the type of corporative structure which the Italian
Fascists were promoting. Pius may be said to hold it up to scrutiny rather than actually
endorsing it, but he is positive about it and was disappointed when Mussolini did not
appreciate that.

von Nell-Breunings comments may be read in Readings in Moral Theology No.5 published by
Paulist Press, edited by C. Curran and R. Mc Cormick 1986. von N-Breuning also published
a book Reorganization of Social Economy, New York, Bruce, 1936 which has more. Then there
is also: The Vatican and Italian Fascism, 1929-32 by J. Pollard, New York: Cambridge Univ.
Press, 1985.
In the US the term used was not corporations but industry councils. Checking under these
headings in economic histories would give further leads.