From:
[log in to unmask] (Roy Weintraub)
Date:
>From the formation of the History of Economics Society as a professional organization;
the roles of Secretary and Treasurer have been combined as a single elected position. With
the steady growth in the Society’s financial assets and the advent of electronic
communications (which allows the Executive Committee to engage in business continuously
outside of its two regular meetings per year), the combined job demands on the
Secretary/Treasurer have expanded to the point where the position needs to be divided
between two individuals. Therefore, the Executive Committee will ask the membership at the
2004 meeting in Toronto to approve a constitutional amendment splitting the
Secretary/Treasurer position into two posts, those of the Treasurer and the Secretary. In
the interim, the Executive Committee has decided to create the position of Acting
Secretary, to work with the present Treasurer/Secretary until a Secretary can be elected
in the constitutionally appropriate manner, and to carry out as many of the duties of the
Secretary as may be needed over that period.

The duties of the Secretary will be:
1] Take minutes at the winter and summer Executive Committee meetings.
2] Participate in electronic discussions between members of the Executive Committee and
record any final decisions, resolutions or formal votes that are undertaken.
3] Hold an election each spring so that the membership may elect new officers to the
Society.
4] Keep track of the membership list, send out renewal notifications and resolve missing
Journal issues for members.
5] Serve as a central contact point for individuals that may have questions about the
Society.

I am pleased to announce that Dr. Thomas (Tim) Leonard of Princeton University has
accepted the invitation proferred by the HES Executive Committee and has agreed to serve
HES as its Acting Secretary beginning January 1, 2004.

We will submit the appropriate constitutional changes to the HES membership at a later
date, in order to have the constitutional amendment vote at the HES 2004 Business Meeting.

E. Roy Weintraub
President, History of Economics Society