From:
[log in to unmask] (John C. Medaille)
Date:
Tue Nov 21 15:58:49 2006
James C. Ahiakpor wrote:

>I also wonder why Medaille doesn't appear to see
>the wisdom and morality in lowering tariffs
>between the North American trading nations under
>NAFTA, whether that is related to an "immigration problem" or not?

I would be happy to debate the issue of "free"
trade with you, or the more interesting issue of
whether anything that is happening today could
actually be called "free" trade, or the even more
interesting question of whether the outsourcing
constitutes "trade" at all, or merely an
arbitrage of labor rates. But none of that was
part of my point. The historical point is that
intellectuals frequently advance empirical
arguments which they then conveniently forget
when the actual events do not work out as
promised. You can argue the "what if" all you
like, because such arguments cannot be resolved,
even in principle. But you cannot deny that
claims were made that did not in fact pan out.
NAFTA may be good or bad; it may or may not be
free trade; it may be just or unjust. But
clearly, it was not the solution to the illegal immigration problem.

>People will always choose to go where they can
>earn more for their skills, all other things considered.

Not really. Most people prefer to stick to their
home country even if there are better
opportunities elsewhere; the bounds of language,
culture, and affection are usually stronger than
mere money. More often, people go because they
must. In fact, one of the most potent arguments
against the wall is that it seals the immigrants
in rather than out. When the cost of crossing was
relatively low, the "illegals" would work for a
time and return to the home country for a time.
But as the cost of crossing rises, it is better
to stay here and not risk one's health, wealth,
or life in making the crossing. Thus a population
that may have floated between the two countries finds itself trapped.

John C. Medaille