Date:
================== HES POSTING =======================

When I was a student in Economics at University of Minnesota in the mid
60's I was told that several of the staff members came from the
University of Iowa around 1946. They left Iowa, I was told, voluntary
or were forced to leave because of a controversy with members of the State
Assembly over butter versus margarine made of soya oil and what benefited
the consumers.

[NOTE: Confusion has occured because the University of Iowa at the time
was called the State University of Iowa. Most of the people who had
problems and left were not in Iowa City but rather in Ames at Iowa
State. The most famous of the Iowa State departees was T.W. Schultz, who
became chair at the University of Chicago and won the Nobel Prize in 1979.
Because a similar political battle over margarine occured in Canada, I
have searched for any indication of dairy industry intrusions into
academic freedom here, but have found nothing. A recent history of the
margarine/butter batle in Canada is "A Propensity to Protect: Butter,
Margarine and the Rise of Urban Culture in Canada," by W.H. Heick, 1991 --
RBE]

Arild Saether,
Professor, Department of Economics
Faculty of Economics and Social Science