From:
[log in to unmask] (Leonidas Montes)
Date:

I am working on some German sources in order to assess Smith´s early
reception in Germany. I came through a quote from vom Stein, who was first
minister in Prussia in 1807. There is a quote where he, like List later,
advocated protectionism, under the idea that first countries needed to
develop, and only then, they could follow laissez faire policies. The quote
comes from Pertz, G.H., "Das Leben des Ministers Freiherrn vom Stein"
(Berlin, 1850, vol. ii, pp. 461-2). If somebody has access to that source,
I would really appreciate if she or he can tell me the circumstances of
that quote, i.e., was a letter or a reference, and when was it said or
written.

I am especially interested in those who advocated this theme in late
eighteenth century and early nineteenth century. As the German states were
much behind Britain, in terms of economic development, I have been also
working out the thesis that there was an anti-British feeling, and of
course, Smith as the father of classical political economy (e.g. Smithsche
Schule), became the object of much criticism (except Gottingen). If someone
has further suggestions, I would also be very grateful.

Many thanks
Leon Montes