From:
[log in to unmask] (Robert Leonard)
Date:
John Womack's question concerning the language skills of historians of
economics struck a chord with me.

Having limited language skills will matter more or less depending on one's
area of research interest, but, for areas in which it is an issue, I
believe it can shape one's work profoundly. Reflecting upon my own
experience, I have had to battle with language difficulties: developing a
working knowledge of written German, working with translators for
Hungarian. Laborious as all of this has been, it has given me an
understanding of my research area that is very different from what I would
have gained had I confined myself to English source material only.

At a more general level, I also believe that having a knowledge of various
languages goes hand in hand with greater sensitivity to the way words are
used, to those using them, and to context in general. These are all
benefits that are, in fact, independent of whether or not the languages one
knows are of direct use in one's area of research.

Sincerely,

Robert Leonard