From:
[log in to unmask] (Deirdre McCloskey)
Date:
Tue Apr 1 07:38:55 2008
Dear Eric,

Good and fair review of Steve Marglin's book.  I reviewed it briefly for
the Times Higher.  Your review has its share of Jonesian Zingers, but
also Jonesian Insights.  Steve's book is very well and engagingly
written.  But I think you're right that his reading of the history is
tendentious.  For example, it was usually disputes over (say) tithes,
that is, among the well-to-do themselves, that determined how quickly an
enclosure went forward.  Stealing the commons from the goose was a very
minor source of profit.  And the smallholders generally got a high price
for the buying out of their rights, a high price that came from the
(modest) increase of efficiency.  The level where I think Steve is
exactly right, though, is that of ideology.  The ideology of Greed Is
Good has been available since Mandeville, and grows in popularity,
partly, as Steve and I and many others would agree, because it is
favored by economists and calculators, and not more than by the recent
Sons of Samuelson (the Daughters are more sensible).

Regards,

Deirdre McCloskey