AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

Sender:
"A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Sally Gibson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:48:21 -0500
My response to Anne Mckeage's query [re: whether or not to save WP and WORD (etc.) files as stripped-down, txt files] derives not from technical computer issues, but from definitions of "information" and what archivists want (indeed, should) preserve through the years.

Txt files will preserve only the "word" information, not the whole range of other "information" (so often ignored) inherent in any document - hard copy or electronic copy.  We all know that, in a nanosecond, we can tell just from looking at a book or a letter many things about it, other than the words reproduced:  a small, cheap paperback printed on acidic paper is very different from a big, expensive hardback printed on glossy paper; a letter on thick, creamy paper with engraved letterhead (e.g., for a legal firm) is very different from a letter on cheap, onion skin paper, etc.  The format is an inherent part of the book or the letter.

Since we - like many of our researchers - are (or should be) interested in preserving and understanding "how the record was originally received" (to the extent this is possible in the digital age), I think it is essential to preserve the formatting information (font size and type, colours, spacing, etc. etc.), as well as the actual words.

If you are not familiar with the issues involved, I suggest you read articles by that great American bibliographer, Thomas Tanselle ... or even that great Canadian thinker, Marshall the-medium-is-the-message McLuhan.

Cheers.

Sally Gibson
Archivist
City of Toronto Archives