Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:19:06 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (David Mitch)
One piece of evidence on the timing of the use of AD-AS graphs in macro teaching is when
it first showed up in Samuelson's Economics text.  A quick look at my run of Samuelson
editions indicates that the first edition to use Aggregate Demand and Aggregate Supply
both as concepts and in graph form was the 12th edition which came out in 1985. It was
also the first edition co-authored with William Nordhaus. I did not see any mention of AD
or AS in the 11th edition which came out in 1980.

A possible source regarding the origins of Aggregate Demand and Aggregate supply graphs is
an article Robert Barro wrote offering a pedagogical critique of Aggregate Demand and
Aggregate Supply -- (if I recall correctly Barro thought
the approach was pedagogically deficient and possibly harmful). I think the article came
out in the Journal of Economic Education, probably in the late 1980s or early 1990s.
Although the article was primarily on the pedagogy of Aggregate Demand and Aggregate
Supply, it might also provide some comments on the origin of the approach and overview
some of the leading textbooks that used it.

David Mitch
University of Maryland Baltimore County