From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:03:41 -0400
Toronto Star, Apr. 24, 2003

What would Nightingale say?

By CATHY CROWE AND KATHY HARDILL

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Artic
le_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1051125548270

It would shock the world's best-known nurse that some people in Toronto
cannot take the simplest measures to ward off disease

While the domain of public health may have had a reputation for being
plodding, even sedate, in comparison to the adrenalin rush of emergency room
care or the beeping, flashing, high-tech gadgetry found in critical care
units, the past weeks of the SARS crisis have propelled public health into
an unprecedented spotlight.

From our vantage point at the beginning of the 21st century, public health
strategies seem so low tech: face masks, gloves and gowns to protect
oneself, proper ventilation, meticulous handwashing, quarantine in one's
home.

Daily public health press conferences where doctors drive home the
handwashing message seem almost archaic given a media culture that includes
Chicago Hope, ER and DaVinci's Inquest.

The reality is that the basics of public health have changed very little in
the past 100 years. While some may be shocked that we must rely on these
simple practices to protect ourselves from diseases that can traverse the
globe with unprecedented speed, it may come as even more of a shock to
realize that some people cannot even do these simple measures.

Imagine, for example, that you are homeless.

If you are staying in a homeless shelter with one or two toilets and sinks
for 60 people, which may or may not have soap or towels, you will not be
able to wash your hands very often.

If you are living in a crowded basement shelter with no windows, air
circulation will be next to non-existent.

You will likely sleep less than a metre from your neighbour. There may be
anywhere between 20-100 people sleeping in the same room.

Nearly everyone has a cough

ù close to 40 per cent have already been exposed to tuberculosis. Several days from now you may be forced to seek new shelter. In the morning you will likely enter a nearby drop-in centre to obtain food, or to see a nurse or to use a phone or washroom. If you should require quarantine, where would you go? Needless to say, poor health prevails in these settings. Shamefully, so do poor nutrition and severe hunger. Street nurses have seen clusters of infectious diseases and outbreaks of disease in Toronto's shelter system for years: Hepatitis A, the Norwalk virus, and the oldest disease known to humankind, tuberculosis. Such outbreaks are predictable consequences of social conditions such as overcrowding. In fact, the TB outbreak which began in Toronto's shelters in 2001 was predicted by front-line health workers as far back as 1994. Despite the marvels of modern medicine, three homeless people died of consumption, in the 21st century, in Canada's richest city. As Florence Nightingale said, "Bad sanitary, bad architectural, and bad administrative arrangements often make it impossible to nurse." As two street nurses who have been around the block a few times, we know too well what Flo meant. It is exactly because of the poor sanitary and architectural conditions (read: shelter and rooming house conditions), and administrative arrangements (read: city officials that won't respond to documented inadequate shelter conditions) that we struggle for improved shelter conditions, for affordable housing, for adequately funded community based programs such as drop-in centres. Our work should be seen as a simple plea for help, based on the notion that food, income, safety and housing protect people's health. Simply stated, housing is protection from disease. Experts are predicting that we can expect SARS or a comparable infectious disease to raise its ugly head again. If Toronto's crusading Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Hastings, was alive today he might well say, "Even SARS is not merely a human disease. It is a social disorder." In recent years, public health infrastructure has been seriously diminished due to funding cuts. The polarization of community health activists and public health officials has been detrimental to creating a cohesive response to this crisis. Surely, now, it is obvious that we must infuse public health departments with adequate resources. Similarly, we have an opportunity to build housing, to reduce crowding in shelters, to restore staffing levels in our institutions to allow proper cleaning, to put monies back into schools for soap and paper towels, to increase welfare rates so single people and families can pay their rent and afford to eat every day. Let's do it

ù in the name of life and health. --- Cathy Crowe and Kathy Hardill are street nurses who have been working with the homeless in downtown Toronto for 15 years. Legal Notice:- Copyright 1996-2003. Toronto Star Newspapers Limited.   .............................................   Bob Olsen, Toronto, [log in to unmask]    The contest for ages has been to rescue    liberty from the grasp of executive power.                    Daniel Webster (1782-1852)   .............................................