Date:
Mircea seems to me right in observing that money used to be a scarce resource
and is not now such a scarce resource (of course many individuals, companies
and organisations may still have enormous difficulty in getting hold of it, but
that is a different matter).

I am not sure whether the suggested date for the transition is correct: was it
in fact 1950?  Intuition seems to me to point to a later date: 1980s?

Is there anyone who can provide evidence for a more exact date?

Equally interesting is the reason why this happened.  Here is my suggestion:
The USA was the only country in the world where the equity market dominated the
economy, till the proto-Thatcherite revolution encouraged the population of
that country to pull assets out of domesting housing and other such "safe"
havens and encourage their employment in the more risky equity market... with
sufficiently good results to encourage the Thatcher revolution in England
....which produced roughly similar results.  This started a chain reaction in
other countries, so that there was an increasing flow of monetary assets
principally into the US economy (though in smaller quantitites into other
"free" economies as well) from increasingly larger areas of the globe.  As
demand for US equities grew worldwide, equity prices kepy trading upwards till
they reached valuations which could be justified only by expectations of
"infinite" returns on investment(Keniichi Ohmae's term).  This was of course an
absurd situation and eventually started correcting itself beginning Spring 2000.

This is not my field and I have not studied this but would welcome illumination
from those who have studied or can perhaps easily suggest answers in these
areas of enquiry.

prabhu guptara