From:
[log in to unmask] (Mohammad Gani)
Date:
In September 1993, ICAPE founders stated:
<http://www.econ.tcu.edu/econ/icare/purpose.html>

"There presently exists a number of societies and associations of
economists and other social scientists, all of which are united by their
concern about the theoretical and practical limitations of neoclassical
economics. In addition, they share the conviction that the current
dominance of the subject by mainstream economics threatens academic freedom
and is contrary to the norm of methodological pluralism. Furthermore, this
dominance is highly detrimental to scientific creativity and debate, and to
the development of realistic, innovative, and useful economic analysis and
relevant policies."

On Dec 06, 2002, Peter J. Boettke wrote: (in this HES thread)
"We who are heterodox might not always like the _way_ these things are
being
discussed, but it would be foolish for us to deny that heterodox themes are
not being addressed, and silly not to recognize that the very idea of a
"neoclassical" hegemony is something that passed into history in the 1980s.
We are contending now with a totally different beast and it is unclear how
to effectively wrestle with it if that was one's design."

=====

How to effectively wrestle with it: that is the question.

I hope some readers may like to answer the question broken down into the
following sub-questions:

1. What is an institution? Does it differ from a mechanism? If so, exactly
how?

2. What exactly is missed if one does not incorporate institutions in
economic analysis?

3. How does one formalize the institutional constraint/context in
individual and social decisions?

4. What does it imply for formal analysis of price, quantity, and the
circulation of money?

5. Is the market an institution? If so, how? Is the state another
institution? If so, how does it differ from a market? How do they interact?
Is there an institutional equilibrium?

6. How does an institution change from inside and react to changes from
outside?

7. If the answer is not expressed as an equation, why should I bother?

Mohammad Gani