From:
[log in to unmask] (Alec Schaerer)
Date:
Martin Tangora feels "deeply disturbed by the reckless disregard shown here
for 20th century cosmology, paleogeology, physics, and evolutionary
biology", and Mohammed Gani (after Chas Anderson) reminded him that there
are good reasons for feeling deeply disturbed by the reckless disregard of
science for living entities.

This is indeed the crucial point of difference, because the gist of
autonomy eludes all of today's scientific thought. The reason is simple: By
premise, it approaches its object in descriptions. In this way, it can only
detect results of deliberate acts, but never the cause of the act itself.
The chosen categories eliminate this realm. One can of course try to catch
life by projecting the cause of change into the genes (molecular biology),
or the cause of thought into the brain (neurosciences), but then one can
only grasp some part of what one would like to grasp, never strictly all of
the phenomenon. Of course one can acquiesce with that part and pretend
there is no more than that. Is that really helpful?

But since Martin Tangora feels "Chas Anderson, whoever he is, deserves the
same treatment that he shows everyone else", we should maybe offer Martin
Tangora the same treatment that he shows everyone else. We might simply
remember that even in the realm of the inanimate itself, science is far
from having achieved what Martin Tangora feels it has. Take for example
quantum theory. It offers a probabilistic image of matter. But is has never
realized that its paradox imagery is only the fruit of a specific
one-sidedness in its approach, namely of wanting to measure. Yet measuring
is never an absolute act. Man must posit the unit or act of reference,
because nature offers no basic unit for any metrics whatsoever. Even
Planck's constant or the speed of light are no universally basic units:
Recently cosmologists were shocked that maybe the fine structure constant
and the speed of light are not really constant after all -- while in a
wider view variations are indeed very probable, because nothing material
can be strictly eternal. The debate on the Anthropic Principle is one of
the results of science's incomplete grasp. Other hot debates are sure to
follow.

There are conceptual (or rather: categoreal) approaches which allow a truly
holistic grasp and do not incur the dangers that today's scientific
approach willy-nilly implies. But they are not available to the average
mind acquiescing with the usual half-truths. This being the mainstream
position, the thirst for such alternatives is not yet developed enough for
the alternatives to surface. We will probably have to suffer some more from
the old one-sidednesses and incompletenesses until wanting better than
that. Science is a good catalyst in this process, because it forces the
process of misunderstanding life to the point of having to recognize that
this is not the best path to take.

Of course I am ready to discuss any of the mentioned points with whoever
would like to. In fact I enjoy doing so.

Alec Schaerer