From:
[log in to unmask] (Mark Perlman)
Date:

I remember Ross quite vividly -  particularly his telling me (when I must
have been about eight years old) that he had slid down Vesuvius on his
trousers, wearing a hole in the seat.

Helen Forbes sported a diamond solitaire that 'could have knocked your eyes
out.'  The local allegation was that she had been engaged to Lord
Kitchener, who had given it to her.  Kitchener as you may recall was the
British Commander in Chief during WWI, and it is said that it was because
of his drowning on the sinking of HMS Hampshire that Britain was not
defeated in the early years of that war.  Or, to put it bluntly Kitchener
was considered the 'Colonel Blimp of WWI.'

My father once told me that he had read for Ross the MS. of SEVENTY YEARS
OF IT and had suggested to Ross, who gave all the vital measurements of his
many parts, that some of them could be safely omitted.

Ross as I remember him was a marvelous story teller, and I, as a kid, was
all ears.  Commons, by way of contrast, was hard to follow, and I, as a
kid, was awed but never asked any questions.

                        Sincerely yours,

                                        Mark Perlman