From:
[log in to unmask] (Henry, John F)
Date:
Wed Apr 25 11:35:25 2007
On a serious note, David Noble's, America By Design is an admirable study concerning the training of engineers in the U.S. during the late 1800's, early 1900's. Focusing on M.I.T., he shows that administrators of the engineering programs were concerned that exposure to the "liberal arts" was diverting budding engineers from their true calling--putting their useful skills to work in facilitating the pecuniary interests of business firms. Hence, curricula were modified to reduce or eliminate exposure to social sciences, humanities, etc. and replace such courses with those emphasizing monetary relations that surround engineering proper. It's been a long time since I read Engineers and the Price System, but surely somewhere in this book (or in some essay) Veblen must pick up on this.

John F. Henry