From:
[log in to unmask] (Deirdre McCloskey)
Date:
Tue Jun 26 14:21:34 2007
Dear Roy,

I don't think so.  I don't think it's too late.  What people with
serious intellectual standards need to do is to study the ranking
methods, and show them to be at the best misleading, at the worst
scandalous.

A dead-serious scientific evaluation of the scandal of
assessment-by-mechanical-ranking would I think blow the system away.
It's a set of emperor's clothes waiting to be noticed in their absence
by a "little child" (the gender is not specified in the Danish: I
suspect it was a girl!).  I don't think one person could do it,
admittedly.  (My own one-woman campaign against the related scandal of
letters of recommendation for established scholars in the "assessments"
shows me that.)  But a research team funded by a foundation actually
interested in promoting science instead of promoting smooth careers---if
such can be found---would work.

Meanwhile I heartily endorse Mike Bradley's policy, for which he surely
gets support at UMBC from my prize student of so long ago, David Mitch,
of shaming his colleagues into actually reading.  I know it's radical,
Roy, but without pressure from us radicals, would anything ever change?

Regards,

Deirdre McCloskey