From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Hoover)
Date:
Tue Sep 2 16:53:44 2008
The earliest example of "deadweight loss" in JSTOR is not as early as
Hotelling.  It is

Paul A. Samuelson, "The Transfer Problem and Transport Costs: The Terms
of Trade When Impediments are Absent," /The Economic Journal/, Vol. 62,
No. 246 (Jun., 1952), pp. 278-304.

"Dead loss" shows up as earlier as 1887, but not in the sense of
deadweight loss.  The following might be the earliest relevant JSTOR
example, but I have not read it carefully:

C. F. Bickerdike, "The Theory of Incipient Taxes," /The Economic
Journal/, Vol. 16, No. 64 (Dec., 1906), pp. 529-535

Kevin Hoover

--
KEVIN D. HOOVER
  Professor of Economics and Philosophy