From:
[log in to unmask] (David W. VERSAILLES)
Date:

From: Dr. Thierry AIMAR, CREDES, Univ Nancy II Dr. David W Versailles, PHARE-EH (CHPE), Univ Paris I Pantheon Sorbonne

We intend to organize a session at the HES 2000 meeting in
Vancouver next June 20th-July3rd on the theme:

The Austrians and the use of psychological assumptions in economics

Carl Menger's economic theory in the Grundsaetze is often
described as a psychological investigation into the individual
behavior. The status of the psychological assumptions cannot be
explained without reference to Menger's methodological
developments: his opposition to historism is based upon his
refutation of any amplification of historical description of tendencies
into nomologic assumptions. All the followers of Carl Menger in the
Austrian School of economics are referring to the Methodenstreit;
all Austrians do adhere to Menger's utility theory and to his
"psychological" commitment.

The session intends to draw the general lines of the introduction of
"psychological" assumptions into economics by the Austrians, and
to point out the differences between the members of the Austrian
School.

If you are interested, thanks for contacting us as soon as possible at the
email

mailto:[log in to unmask]
or via fax : +33-491 63 06 42

There are two different ways to organize the session: a thematical
one and an historical one. We will adapt the presentation of the
session to the propositions received. We will present a paper about
Carl Menger's insights in psychology and their reception.

Thanks for sending your proposition (with your title, a 200 words
abstract, your affiliation and personal email) at the email below by
Feb 14th. Deadline for the session proposal to the HES organizers
is Feb 15th. We will reply as soon as possible and get in touch
individually to adjust the general layout of the session.

Depending on the number of the propositions received by the
deadline, we will set up a session and transmit it to the HES
organizers directly. A large session with up to 8 papers seems
possible provided that we cut it in two sub-sessions.

For any information, email of fax David W Versailles at

mailto:[log in to unmask]
fax: +33-491 63 06 42