From:
[log in to unmask] (Karen Bailey)
Date:
I am posting this query for a friend who is not subscribed to the list. He
is a professor of philosophy currently working on Berkeley research and can
be reached at [log in to unmask]

Thanks in advance for your help with this inquiry.

Karen Bailey

*************

Some queries about Berkeley's The Querist.

At Query 23 Berkeley "asks"

    23. Whether money is to be considered as having an intrinsic value,
    or as being a commodity, a standard, a measure, or a pledge, as is
    variously suggested by writers? And whether the true idea of money
    as such, be not altogether that of a ticket or counter?

Berkeley, of course,  goes on to advocate and develop the view of money as
a "ticket" or "counter."

    35. Whether power to command the industry of others be not real
    wealth? And whether money be not in truth tickets or tokens for
    conveying and recording such power and whether it be of great
    consequence what materials the tickets are made of?

I know next to nothing about the history of economics and I would greatly
appreciate it if someone could tell me:

(i) Whose views Berkeley is referring to in Query 23, i.e., who are the
various writers that proposed the views that money is (a) a commodity, (b)
a measure (c) a standard, (d) a pledge.

(ii) As to the last proposal that money is a "pledge" how is that to be
understood as different from Berkeley's view that  money is a form of
"ticket" or "counter"?

(iii) Is the ticket/counter view considered the received view now?

(iv) Could anything be considered the received view at the time Berkeley
was writing? (Would it be the view of money as having "intrinsic value"?)

Again, help with any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.