From:
[log in to unmask] (Laurence S. Moss)
Date:
Dear David,

At one point when I was the series editor for a group of books documenting the modern
Austrian school revival.  As part of my duties, I asked Karen Vaughn to do a scholarly
introduction to the Hoff book since she had already done work on the economic calculation
controversy.  I am away from my library today, but that Hoff book did finally get
published with an erudite introduction by Karen to the second (?) English edition of the
Hoff book.

Perhaps Karen Vaughn who visited Norway and may have met with some of Hoff's relatives,
might have an answer to the "how Dickinson might have done it" question.

I might add that preparing reviews of books without being fully conversant in the language
in which the book is written was not an obstacle for other English-language economists.  I
remember Keynes reviewed Mises's 1912 book on money and admitted (in the review [I
believe]) that his German was not as proficient as he would have liked.  Perhaps,
Dickinson thought he could adopt such an approach as well.

Laurence S. Moss