From:
[log in to unmask] (Nicholas J. Theocarakis)
Date:
> I think you meant the importance of being Ernest.

Not really. First the title of the play itself is "The importance of being
Earnest. a trivial comedy for serious people". Second, the quotation about
a cynic comes according to the The Columbia World of Quotations. 1996
[http://www.bartleby.com/66/97/64397.html] from Lady Windermere's Fan, act
3 (1893) and The Picture of Dorian Gray (1891) ch. 4 not from The
importance of being Earnest.

My point was rather to suggest the value of non-opportunistic (earnest)
behaviour. Or as Samuel L. Jackson once remarked in a film the details of
which I have successfully blocked from my memory: "I am frank and earnest.
In Chicago I am Frank, in New York I am Ernest."

Nikos Th.