From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
 -------Forwarded from IEPS-L by Ross B. Emmett -------

Please look over the notice below and post it on other networks as you
wish.  We in URPE hope to make this special issue a lasting tribute to
David.

Bob Pollin

CALL FOR PAPERS:
RRPE SPECIAL ISSUE IN HONOR OF DAVID M. GORDON

The death of David Gordon last March was a great loss to radical political
economy.  Both as a creative researcher and a dedicated teacher, David was
a major contributor to building the U.S. tradition in radical political
economy for the past 25 years.  David was also a founding member and
long-time activist in The Union for Radical Political Economics (URPE).
We envision the special issue of URPE's journal the Review of Radical
Political Economics (RRPE) as a means of honoring David in the way he would
have most appreciated:  through extending, critically analyzing, and
rigorously debating the major themes of his research work.  David was both
highly prolific and wide-ranging in his research interests.  We would
welcome contributions that would address any of the broad themes on which
David focused:
        1.  Work organization, labor process, and macroeconomic
performance. The interrelationship between these issues is at the heart of
David's posthumously published work, "Fat and Mean: The Corporate Squeeze
of Working Americans and the Myth of Managerial Downsizing", the book which
David considered to be his legacy.  These themes also play a central role
in much of David's previous work, starting with his initial contributions
on the theory of labor market segmentation.  We would therefore especially
encourage submissions in this area, and we expect that a high proportion of
the papers in our special issue will be concerned with these themes.
        2.  SSA-type macroeconomic models.  David was one of the
originators of the "Social Structure of Accumulation" approach to analyzing
U.S. macroeconomic performance over the post World War II period (and
indeed himself coined the term).  In developing this work, David explored
the relationship between profitability, investment, saving, distribution,
and conflict. While many of David's contributions in this area were
technical econometric modelling exercises, we would welcome a variety of
approaches in addressing these themes.
        3.  Long Waves of Capitalist Development.  One of the ways that
David extended his SSA approach was to analyze the long-term trends of
capitalist development.   David's focus here was primarily on the United
States.  But the relevant questions logicall extend to considerations of
European development, and possibly further.
        4.  Urban Economics.  David wrote some important early papers on
urban conditions in the U.S.  He also published a widely-used reader,
Problems in Political Economy: An Urban Perspective which still is being
used by people teaching in the field.  We would welcome contributions that
revisit some of the issues raised in David's early work in this area.
        5.   Econometrics and Political Economy.  David was a pioneer in
his use of econometric methods to explore issues from a radical political
economy perspective.  His efforts have led others to use econometric
techniques to test hypotheses developed by radical economic theory.
Therefore, both empirical studies that expand on David's approach and
methodological papers that consider the use of econometrics in radical
political economy would be appropriate for the special issue.
        6.  Progressive Economic Policy for the United States.   David was
intensively involved in economic policy questions, both in his writings and
in his work as an activist.  Among other experiences, David  was actively
involved in labor education efforts as well as the 1988 Jesse Jackson
Presidential campaign.   Submissions in this area should address the
specific policy approaches David developed in his published work, though
they need not be confined exclusively to these.
        The editorial collective welcomes all contributions, and will give
no special consideration to any individuals or groups in making publication
decisions.  At the same time, we wish to especially encourage contributions
from the numerous students whose dissertations David supervised at the New
School, as well as from other New School students and colleagues who worked
closely with him.
        Contributors should send submissions and queries to:  Hazel Dayton
Gunn, Managing Editor, RRPE, Department of City and Regional Planning, 106
W. Sibley Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853.  Articles are due
June 30, 1997, and must follow the Instructions to Contributors on the back
cover of the RRPE (also available from the Managing Editor).   As early as
possible, we strongly encourage authors to inform us in writing of their
intention to submit, as this will help to coordinate timely publication of
the special issue.  All submissions will be subject to the journal's usual
peer review procedure. All submissions are subject to RRPE's usual review
procedures and the June 30, 1997 deadline for submissions.

 Robert Pollin
 Department of Economics
 U. of California-Riverside
 Riverside, CA 92521-0427, USA
 (909) 787-5037 ext. 1579 (office); (909) 788-8106 (home)
 (909) 787-5685 (fax); [log in to unmask] (e-mail)

 Eric Nilsson
 Department of Economics
 California State University
 San Bernardino, CA 92407