AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Iona McCraith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Iona McCraith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:18:11 -0400
The following Conference Call for Papers is reposted for the information of
list members who may have an interest in this topic.
Iona McCraith
AAO Preservation Consultant
**********************************

Date: 16 Sep 2003
From: Stephen Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Call for Papers: IS&T Archiving Conference 2004

Hyatt Regency Hotel
San Antonio, TX, USA
April 20-23, 2004
<URL:http://www.imaging.org/conferences/archiving2004/>

Sponsored by the Society for Imaging Science and Technology
In cooperation with

    CNI     Coalition for Networked Information
    DLF     Digital Library Federation
    OCLC    Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
    RLG     Research Libraries Group
    SPIE    International Society for Optical Engineering
    TAGA    Technical Association of the Graphic Arts

How will we recover our images and documents a year, a decade, a
generation or a century from now? How we will store and preserve
documents now so as to enable future access? How can we retrieve,
recover and restore materials of personal and cultural significance?

The Archiving Conference 2004 will address the complex and widely
varying topics in the field of archiving by bringing together
technical experts *both* from industry and from cultural
institutions (libraries, archives and museums) engaged in long-term
preservation. The goals are to benchmark or critique systems that
might be in place to preserve our digital and hardcopy information,
as well as to identify those areas where systems and technology are
not yet up to the task, and further research is of high priority.

The conference will include invited presentations by recognized
experts with extensive experience in this field, refereed papers,
and a series of tutorials to cover the technical basics of
archiving. Special keynote presentations are planned, including ones
by Gordon Bell of Microsoft Research on his MyLifeBits research, and
Clifford Lynch, Executive Director of the Coalition for Networked
Information (CNI).

Paper Submission: Prospective authors are invited to submit original
papers for presentation in any of the technical areas listed below.
750-1000 word abstracts are due October 15, 2003. If you wish to
submit a paper, please use the web-based form and process described
at
<URL:http://www.imaging.org/conferences/archiving2004/authors.cfm>

Proposed Program Topics:

    Digital Image Archiving:
        Standards for digital formats, color spaces, compression
        Indexing and searching
        Saving digital data to physical media

    Archiving Conventional Media:
        Standards for paper manufacturing
        Archival inks
        Photographic archives, including micro-formats
        Storage requirements
        Indexing and retrieval

  Digitization for Archiving:
    High speed scanning
    High quality scanning
    OCR, indexing and retrieval

  Obsolescence of Digital Media:
    Software and hardware obsolescence
    Longevity of digital media
    Cost of media rollover

  Accessing Electronic Archives:
    Indexing and searching methods
    Web portals
    Content and digital asset management

  Emerging Digital Standards:
    PDF/A
    JPEG 2000
    MPEG
    Security and watermarking
    Digital rights management
    eBooks

  Case Studies:
    Digital Archives
    Long-term archives
    Museum collections
    Libraries
    Film archives
    Medical records

  Personal Photo Archives:
    Personal digital archives
    Saving pictures for a lifetime
    Indexing and organizing
    Digital versus paper

Tutorial Program: A full program of tutorials is scheduled for
Tuesday, April 20, 2004. Proposals for tutorial classes are invited;
send your proposals to the Conference Tutorials Chair
Bob Breslawski <[log in to unmask]>

General Conference Chairs:

    Franziska Frey
    Rochester Institute of Technology

    Robert Buckley
    Xerox Corporation

Stephen Chapman
Preservation Librarian for Digital Initiatives
Weissman Preservation Center
Harvard University Library
Holyoke Center 821
Cambridge, MA  02138