From:
[log in to unmask] (Moser, Thomas)
Date:
Wilhelm Hohmann wrote that "only the preface of the first edition of
"Theorie der wirtschaftlichen Entwicklung" is dated "Wien, im Juli 1911",
the impression is dated Leipzig 1912!." This is correct, and almost all
historians of economic thought refer thus to 1912 as the publication date.

However, contrary to the subject title, I would argue that "Schumpeter's
1912 is 1911." Here is my reasoning:
(1) As noted by Wilhelm Hohmann, the preface of the first edition is dated
July 1911.
(2) Later editions by the original publisher (Duncker&Humblot) list the
first edition as being published in 1911 (e.g., the seventh edition of
1987).
(3) In the preface of the 4th edition, Schumpeter himself refers to the
text of 1911.

Based on this evidence, I have thus come to the conclusion that the
impression date 1912 must be wrong, but I would be more than happy to learn
more about this issue. By the way, such "errors" are not unprecedented.
Galiani's "Della Moneta" was published in 1751, but the impression reads
1750, used by many historians of economic thought when referring to "Della
Moneta."

Does it matter? I guess the answer depends on our ambitions as historians
(rather than economists). It certainly matters if you want to celebrate a
half-way decent anniversary.

Cheers,
Thomas Moser