Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:19:16 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (David Mitch)
can point to Clifford Geertz "Thick Description: Toward an Interpretive Theory of Culture"
in his volume of essays entitled _The Interpretation of Cultures_ Basic Books, 1973. On
p.6 of his "Thick Description" essay, Geertz cites two essays by Gilbert Ryle, one
entitled "Thinking and Reflecting" and the other "The Thinking of Thoughts." Geertz says
these essays have been reprinted in the second volume of Ryle's _Collected Papers_.  Ryle
has a number of interesting essays in his _Concept of Mind_ and that volume may be a
little more accessible (in terms of ease of getting ones hands on it) than the Collected
Papers. However, I don't have my copy of Concept of Mind in front of  me--so I don't know
whether it actually has anything directly on the thin versus thick description issue.

David Mitch