Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:36 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Sumitra Shah)
This has been an international and interesting discussion in which we found
a firm distinction between English language and American language! It seems
that the hegemony of math and modeling in economics is a matter of concern
to many economists; but the rhetoric continues to gain strength, perhaps
even more now because the language barrier is harder to cross than that of
the math and simulation devices. The hegemony of the U.S. as a superpower
and the ascendancy of the market metaphor all over the world does not bode
well for any change of direction anytime soon. As an amusing aside, below
is a short book review from The Economist of "Doing our own thing: the
degradation of language and music" by a 'controversialist and linguist'
John McWhorter.
http://www.economist.com/books/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2384038

Disclaimer: I know nothing of McWhorter's politics or ideology and thus have no sympathy
for it. Another aside -sometimes the jargon of other social sciences and discourses is as
abstruse as that of economics.

Sumitra Shah