From:
Anne Cogdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:20:29 -0300
Hi Jim
The Halifax Regional Municipality has just launched a Vibrant City/Healthy Communities project.  In addition, we now have a Safe Communities project, which has broad representation from many sectors.  Both are in early stages.  The VC/HC project is part of a regional planning process and is one of 4 task groups - to date it's internal to the municpal structure, but plans are to engage the broader community.

In Capital Health, our district health authority, we have seven community health boards who are legislated to develop yearly community health plans.  Our thoughts are to work very closely with these two committees, but as I said, we're in the early days.
Jim Donovan is the contact for Vibrant Cities/Health Communities and can be reached at  [log in to unmask]  and Mike LaRue is the contact for Safe Communities - [log in to unmask]
Good luck

Anne Cogdon
Director of Community Health
Dartmouth and Southeastern
Marshall Treatment Centre
294 Pleasant Street
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
B2Y 3S3
(902) 465-8578

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/07/02 01:58pm >>>
Hello: Our Institute is doing a research project on indicators of the
health of Canadian communities. We are focussing on
municipal/regional-level initiatives that target more than one aspect of
community health. This includes so-called, healthy communities projects,
quality of life projects, sustainability projects, report cards etc.

We are putting together a sample of Canadian projects for a national
survey. We would greatly appreciate receiving any information/nominations
of projects that you might know of.  Contact information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Our results will be posted
on the web for public access.

Best regards Jim Frankish
Dr. C. James Frankish
Associate Director, Institute of Health Promotion Research
Associate Professor, Faculty of Graduate Studies
Associate Professor, Division of Population Health & Health Services Research
Department of Health Care & Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine
University of British Columbia
Room 308, LPC Building, 2206 East Mall Vancouver BC V6T 1Z3
Ph:604-822-9205  Fax:604-822-9210;  Personal Fax: 822-9228
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web Site http:\\www.ihpr.ubc.ca