From:
[log in to unmask] (Williams, William D.)
Date:
[I think the discussion has strayed far enough from Young's original query on suggestions
for graduate schools to a discussion of the appropriate subject matter of graduate study
in Economics.  Thus, with this message, I am starting a new thread titled Graduate School
Education in Economics.  HB.]

Weintraub in contrasting what he describes as the "obligations to scholarship" and the
issue of "freedom of belief" raises a fundamental issue. I doubt, however, that many
scholars of whatever persuasion are in favor of an absolute "freedom of belief." Not at
any rate beliefs that are adopted arbitrarily and are completely unconstrained by
evidence. However, I expect that many heterodox scholars in economics might be in favor of
a situation in which there was more "freedom of judgement" availible for inquiry based
upon warrented assertablity. And, I would hope that in the future something other than a
standard of "You may have all the academic freedom you can afford." would eventually
prevail somewhere.

Bill Williams
  UMKC