From:
[log in to unmask] (John Womack)
Date:
Garch is (I think) math for brokers. It's good for anybody to know. But
it's not a (human) foreign language, anyway (I suppose) no more or less
foreign to Chinese than it is to USAese. And what about USA-born students
who have already mastered such tools, who have graduated into professional
life (academic or other)? Do they feel no need to learn other human
languages? If not, disregarding US cultural arrogance, I guess it's a
reasonable US calculation of opportunity cost (as optimistically estimated
for a young US American's next 30 years in US universities or business): in
comparison with gains from time spent otherwise, the gains from learning
German, or Spanish, or Chinese are not worth it. Or have I got it basically
wrong?

John Womack