From:
[log in to unmask] (John Womack)
Date:
paradigms of what started in the 1870s (Edgeworth, Jevons, Menger, Walras),
what Veblen (as I have read) first called "neoclassical" in 1900, and what
now (still) goes professionally in the United States as "economics." This
is not a question of awe over mathematics or "modern sciences" (any more
than over music or color or the unconscious). I have enormous respect for
the OED. I agree in dictionaries and encyclopedias  especially the first
Palgrave) there are many clues. I agree the paradigmatic influences
(conscious or not) are several, and probably even from the beginning mixed,
blended. But those guys actually say they're doing physics, and if you read
and figure what they're doing, it is a kind of metaphorical physics. Here
Mirowski rules.
But engineering is not quite the same matter. Someone suggested earlier we
were here spinning two threads. I agree, (1) economics and scientific
metaphors, (2) economics and engineering. What about a third, economics and
accounting?

John Womack