From:
[log in to unmask] (Robert Goldfarb)
Date:
I just wanted to note the following. In preparing my tongue-cheek
2054 retrospective (I'm unfortunately a sucker for bad puns,
word-play,etc), I e-mailed a draft to my college roommate, who was a
psych major (in the 1960's), and later a grad student in psych at a
distinguished university department. He no longer "does" psychology,
but he is both very adept at electronics and very well-informed. I
remembered his working on equipment in the late 1960's that allowed
measurement of how various stimuli were "received and recorded" by
the brain. I asked him two things: (1) was the "measure
pleasure/pain" claim plausible? and (2) was the miniaturization a
possibility? I incorporated his response to the first question into
my earlier HES submission, by adding language to the effect that
psychologists "now" shy away from "pleasure/pain" termninology.

His response to my second question was:

You probably remember that I designed and built from readily
available components a miniature biopotential transmitter that was
about the size of a wristwatch.  That was 1970ish.  Today I could
build one small enough to fit on the head of transducer (electrode).
A commercial lab could easily make one that would be barely visible.
So the ear-miniaturization idea is eminently do-able if not actually
done.

Bob Goldfarb