From:
[log in to unmask] (Ken Gordon)
Date:
As a corrective to the "utils" nonsense that they had so often been exposed
to in previous courses (you have heard, though never delivered I'm sure,
the lecture that compressed about fifty or seventy-five years of the
subject's history into a single throw-away line - "in the olden days
economists thought that utility could be measured cardinally, isn't that
absurd, ha ha ha, what did they use? utils? ha ha ha ha , now we are so
much more enlightened") when I used to teach Economics 212 at the
University of Saskatchewan, I regularly assigned a slim red
book on demand theory whose title and author, alas, elude me. It was one of
the few places in the secondary lit that correctly (IMHO) positioned and
treated seriously the utility->price discussion. (If the inestimable Peter
Dooley is on the list, he may remember the book's title and author.)

The argument goes something like this - the discussion of whether utility
is measurable or not is no more nor less far fetched than the discussion of
whether other theoretical concepts - like time or distance, for example -
are measurable. It's just a matter of correctly defining a unit. The
(perhaps Marshallian?) view that  utility is cardinally measurable in terms
of money (measuring how much money you will part with, assuming constant MU
of money, measures the utility you are receiving) comes apart when income
and substitution effects are acknowledged, whence Slutsky and Hicks. In
other words, we can't consistently define a unit.

That being said, the discussion of how we (or societies) determine what
something is worth - i.e. the theory of value - surely is no less than the
core of our subject. Or at least appears to have been for its first three
hundred years or so.

Ken Gordon