From:
[log in to unmask] (Scott Cullen)
Date:
Bill Williams doubts there is any direct evidence that "a particular
utility [is] perceived by the user" of a product or good that has
ostentation or collection value.  I'm not sure I understand the difficulty
with my suggestion.

Whether a diamond, a Faberge egg, a $100 bill used to light a cigar or a
collectible that only an individual would want, isn't it self-evident that
having paid a price to acquire it there is utility?  The utility may be to
show off,  to have pure enjoyment, to make an investment with a specific
monetary return or some combination.  As I understand investment value, it
is distinguished from market value because the investor's objectives may
vary from market's.  Utility may even be in non-use.... say the
philanthropist who buys a development site to place a conservation easement
on it, or the environmentalist who trades national debt instruments for
rain forest to be turned into parkland as has been done in South America.

Is your concern with the demonstration of utility itself or with the
"particular" nature of the utility?

Scott Cullen