From:
[log in to unmask] (Steven Horwitz)
Date:
Sun Jun 22 08:18:48 2008
Alan G Isaac wrote:
> ----------------- HES POSTING -----------------
> Michael Perelman wrote:
>
>> intellectual property is an abomination in its present
>> form.  Libertarians used to oppose it as monopoly.  What
>> happened to contemporary Libertarians?
>>

> My sense is that modern libertarians oppose patents but
> support copyright.  I am thinking of Rothbard
> (e.g., <URL:http://www.ccsindia.org/lacs/7patents_copyrights.pdf>)
> but in the software arena I suppose one might also think of
> the higher profile Richard Stallman.

Rather than going to Rothbard, there are other, more contemporary
sources for libertarian views on this topic, which remains a subject of
much contention within libertarian circles.  Some of the best work has,
in fact, been anti-IP, both copyrights and patents.

For anti-IP arguments, see:

Stephan Kinsella, here:  http://www.mises.org/journals/jls/15_2/15_2_1.pdf

Roderick Long, here:  http://libertariannation.org/a/f31l1.html

Tom Palmer, here: