From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:
Colleagues: In examining membership policies and annual membership dues in the History of
Economics Society, its Executive Committee has become aware that a number of individuals
who consider themselves to be, and are considered by us all to be, serious historians of
economics, who submit papers to JHET and attend the summer and winter HES conference, are
not presently members of the Society.

At a time when historians of economics are institutionally somewhat
beleaguered, there is a positive externality for us individually in having
as many scholars as possible be members of the History of Economics
Society.  For example, my own university’s promotion and tenure policies
require a clear statement in the dossier of the number of scholars in the
candidate’s subdiscipline, our librarians often make institutional journal
subscription decisions based on the number of individual subscribers, with
a larger number suggesting a more active scholarly field, and so on.

Since the present membership fee for HES is $30.00 per year (in US funds),
which entitles one to receive a personal copy of JHET (and since for many
of our European friends the dollar is at historic lows against the Euro at
present), this is an opportune time to become a member of HES.

Membership and payment forms are available at the HES website

http://orbit.unh.edu/hes/services.html

We hope that if you are not a member, you will become one and reap the
benefits of membership.

E. Roy Weintraub
President, History of Economics Society