From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 16:23:21 -0500
Background: Canada's "new", Conversative government recently announced
drastic changes to Status of Women Canada, an agency within the Ministry of
Canadian Heritage. Among the changes:
* a 40% reduction in its already miniscule administrative budget,
* closure of 12 of its 16 regional offices (ROs),
* the elimination of 'equality', 'advocacy' and 'action' from its website, and
* the addition of for-profit organizations and the elimination of grassroots
ad hoc groups or committees for consideration for funding.

The House of Commons Standing Committee on the Status of Women (FEWO), in
response to the outcry from women's groups, is holding two emergency
meetings on December 6th and 13th. Organizations not invited to appear
before the Committee may submit a 500-word brief to the Clerk of the
Committee. Below is WISE's brief.

WISE is a group and growing national movement that is based in rural BC and
led by women in poverty. We work to address the links among policy, poverty
and health; educate women about the effects of income inequality on the
wellbeing of individuals and their communities; and support one another in
introducing inexpensive creative solutions at the local level.

Were it not for the kindness of one Programs Officer at the Vancouver SWC
office, WISE would not have been formed. Now with the changes to SWC's
eligibility criteria and the loss of the BC RO, WISE's only funding source
and primary support is gone.

In the summer of 2003, I wrote my story of painful marginalization. A friend
urged me to send it to someone in the Vancouver SWC office. Within two weeks
that Programs Officer, my friend and I met in Victoria. I was in the midst
of a breakdown, deeply angry and often crying uncontrollably. Despite this,
the two women persisted and encouraged me to do a project on women in poverty.

Only groups can receive SWC funding, including (according to SWC’s then
eligibility criteria), ad hoc groups or committees; but my isolation due to
poverty had prevented contact with existing groups and I was in no condition
to reach out to strangers. So I created my own group - WISE.

My personal contact with that SWC Programs Officer was crucial. Had there
not been a sympathetic person available, someone in a position not just to
help me through the application process but with professional expertise to
see beyond my demeanour and persuade me to do a project, WISE and the good
it has done would never have happened.

Our SWC grants:

1. $15,000, 1 yr
Name: Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the Front
Purpose: Collect stories and recommendations of Cowichan Valley women in
poverty.
Outcomes: For the storytellers, rising self-esteem, greater sense of control
and empowerment, improved skills in advocating for themselves, and their
families, peers and community.
Cost: $714.28 per person. This does not include others affected by the
improved wellbeing of these women.
Unexpected outcome: A book of the stories and recommendations. We've sold
almost 500 copies across Canada and into the US, Australia and UK.

2. $29,100, 18 mos
Name: Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Scarlet Letter Campaign
Purpose: Hold workshops for women in poverty in six BC communities. Reps
from professional/social organizations also may attend.
Outcomes: For women in poverty, rising self-esteem, greater sense of control
and empowerment, improved skills in advocating for themselves, and their
families, peers and community. For organization reps, surprise and respect
for what WISE women are doing, understanding of why we must take the lead, -
i.e, work from our own strengths -, eagerness to act as community liaisons.
Cost: $323.33 per person - we anticipate reaching at least 72 women in
poverty and 18 organization reps. Cost does not include others affected by
the improved wellbeing of workshop participants.
Unexpected outcome: Requests from communities beyond those covered by our
SWC grant to bring WISE's Scarlet Letter Campaign to them.

Chrystal Ocean, Coordinator.
Wellbeing through Inclusion Socially & Economically
http://www.wise-bc.org/
PO Box 613, Duncan BC  V9L 3X9
250-748-8093